It’s easy to forget one or two items when you do an online grocery order. However, now you can talk to Amazon Alexa to add things to your basket.
Online supermarket Ocado said last week that it is the UK’s first supermarket to launch an app for Amazon Alexa, the voice controlled personal assistant that powers the Amazon Echo smart home speaker.
Customers can download the app via their Amazon accounts, allowing them to:
- Add a product to an existing order or basket;
- Find out which products are currently in season and get ideas for the best ways to include them in recipes;
- Check an existing order or basket to see if a certain product has already been added;
- Keep track of an order by asking “where’s my order?”; and
- Confirm the time until which an existing order can be amended
Lawrence Hene, Marketing and Commercial Director at Ocado, said: “Grocery shopping should be quick, easy and convenient. Using voice technology, we’ve made it even easier by developing our new app that will enable our customers to add to their Ocado baskets without lifting a finger.
Consumer demand for increasingly convenient ways to shop is growing rapidly and we’re excited to be the first supermarket in the UK to offer this technology, making customers’ lives ever easier. Alexa will add any item to your Ocado basket simply by asking her to do so. It’s as easy as that.”
The announcement came a week after US retail giant Walmart said it was teaming up with Google to enable shoppers to order “hundreds of thousands of items” by voice via Google Home, a hands-free smart speaker powered by the Google Assistant, and Google Express.